19 October 2008

Love

"All you need is love." ~ The Beatles
"Love remains the same." ~ Gavin Rossdale
"Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies." ~ Aristotle 
"There is only one happiness in life - to love and be loved." ~ George Sand

We spend a lot of time thinking about love. Looking for love. Yearning for love. There are thousands of quotes out there about love. Love lost. Love found. Sad love. Teen love. 

We all want love, but rarely do we think about giving love back. I was at a wedding yesterday, and the chaplain said "I have people come to my office wondering what they are doing wrong. They are giving 70% and just want 30% back. I tell them that you have to give 100% with no expectation of getting anything in return." He makes a great point. When we make love about what we will get in return, it's not love at all. Love is about giving of yourself for someone else. In the words of Shakespeare, " The more I give to thee, the more I have, for both are infinite."

We concentrate so much on romantic love that we forget that there are other forms of love out there.  Love is so many different emotions for so many different people. I love my parents in a very different way than I love my best friend. My love for my best friend is very different than the love I have for my husband. 

I cannot say what love is for others, but I will leave you with my two new favorite quotes about love. 
"Where we love is home, home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts." 
~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
"Love doesn't make the world go round, love is what makes the ride worthwhile." 
~ Elizabeth Browning 




No comments: