27 July 2011

Without children...

I was reading this article today. The article is about the current child-free movement. There are airlines, restaurants and hotels all over the world that are declaring kid free areas. As a new parent, my first response was outrage. How dare you discriminate against me because I have a child! But then, I started reading some of the reader comments which made me think rationally instead of defensively.

Here's the thing, not that long ago, I was one of those "please take out your screaming child" people. Now that I have a kid, I'm still a "please take out your screaming child" person. There is a time and a place for  kids. You want to take your kid to the movies then take them to a child/age appropriate movie. You want to go out to dinner - great - but if your kid starts screaming take them outside. I know I only have an almost 6 month old baby, but this is the way I was brought up. We were not allowed to throw tantrums in public. We knew that restaurants, malls and other public places required us to be on our best behavior.

So at what point did well-behaved children become an anomaly instead of the norm?

No comments: