01 December 2011

A Magical Time of Year

Caitlyn wearing her Santa hat. 

There has been a lot of talk around here about the magic that is Christmas. While I look forward to starting new traditions with Caitlyn,  there are quite a few that I am looking forward to including her in.
To name a few:
- picking out and trimming the tree
- singing Christmas carols in the car, in the store, at home...ok, pretty much anywhere
- taking her to The Nutcracker Ballet. My Mommom first started taking me when I was very young. I have a dream that Caitlyn's first time will also be with my Mommom in attendance.
- The Candle Tea and Moravian Love Feast are two of my favorite holiday traditions. They are both low key and remind me that the season is about cherishing and appreciating your family and friends. As a kid, I loved the sugar cake, Moravian coffee and beeswax candle that I would get. As an adult, I love all the same things plus carols accompanied by an incredibly old organ, dressing up for the Christmas Eve service, and the familiarity of it all.

I hope during this time of hustle and bustle that you and yours find a tradition that helps you savor the season. What are some traditions that you have?

1 comment:

bonniebelle said...

Those sound awesome! We'll have to come up one year and go to the Candle Tea!

We always go see a local production of The Nutcracker that my friend's daughter is in. This year I'm having to leave Lily at home since she's in a screaming phase but I'm really looking forward to her being big enough to come with us! We always wait around afterwards in order to congratulate our little dancer and always bring either flowers or a Nutcracker doll.

Even though Lily isn't old enough to really know what's going on, there's something about sharing the holiday season with her that is making it even more amazing this year. Motherhood really changes everything! Happy Holidays my friend!