12 October 2010

A few things left unspoken...

Let's talk pregnancy, people! This post by Amanda over at MODG started me thinking about all the awkward and strange things that happen while you are pregnant.

1) Umm hello, less space! I swear if one more person tells me I should eat more because I'm eating for two I'm going to scream. Yep I get it that there is an extra person inside me. Know how I know? Because my stomach is now in my throat, and I have no idea where my lungs went. You trying eating a lot when your stomach is pushing up against your ribs.
2) Maternity apparel for short people - It's practically non-existent. And what is out there - seriously, I'm pregnant not dead, and no I don't want to pay $100 for "designer" maternity jeans. Just because I'm pregnant does not mean that I'm suddenly going to dish out lots of money on clothes that I'm going to wear for only three months. Especially frumpy crap (I'm talking to you WAY too long shirt) or over-priced tees. Thanks, but no thanks! Maternity designers ( I use the term loosely) - help a short chic out!
3) Your body is no longer yours. Yep that's right - baby has taken control. From what you like to eat to your emotions, you no longer have control. It's like an alien lives inside you going "You no longer like sweet stuff. Today you like salty stuff." Seriously your body is not your own. Hey, I warned you.
4) 1,200 different opinions/facts: Yep everyone suddenly has an opinion from your well-meaning friends to the internet. Great, no problem. EXCEPT - everyone's opinion is different. Not even the different baby emails that you get will be consistent on baby growth and development or your growth and development. Seriously, isn't this supposed to be scientific stuff?
5) People want to touch your belly - Weird! And think it's cute that you are gaining weight! It's like an alternate universe where a beer gut is the trendy thing to have.

But despite the cons, I just try to laugh about it all. Why? Because there is a tiny lil miracle growing inside me.  A soft little kick in the belly, and I'm reminded that it's all going to be worth it in the end.

No comments: