24 November 2010

Bittersweet Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is possibly my favorite holiday. I love the warmth of the day. My family will stand in the kitchen together preparing ridiculous amounts of food while laughing and soaking up our time together. This will be the first year that we get to celebrate with my Dad's son/my brother T. It's been an interesting journey, but I truly love having two brothers. But Thanksgiving will be extra special this year for several other reasons. It will be the first year in three years that the Hubs sister will be home. It will also be the last holiday that we will have with the Hubs for awhile. Unless we get a miracle call in the next few hours, the Hubs will be on his way to Korea in the next couple of weeks. There are many things that we will miss over the next year starting with Christmas. However, tomorrow and all weekend I be truly thankful for all that we have. For having this holiday, for our precious Baby Snick that will be here soon, for all the memories that we have made since he came home from Iraq, for our incredible Grandmothers that will be greatly missed this Thanksgiving. In our four years in the Army, I have learned to take each day as it comes. To be especially thankful for the extra special days that we do get together i.e. holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Don't get me wrong there will be moments of great sadness this weekend as the Hubs says "See ya Later" to family, but in the end we will all be thankful for the time that we have been given.

I hope each and everyone of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with family, friends and delicious food. I encourage you to let go of differences tomorrow and simply savor the time with family.

No comments: